to a lab tech. I had to initial it next to my patient i.d. number. He put it in a ziploc and packed it into one of those blue baby diapers. He looked at me and said "thank you," smiled, and walked away to stash it in an ice chest just like this.
From there, they had a messenger whisk it away to the hospital where the patient awaits the transfusion. I was told she would have it within 48 hours, which means she could already be done and onto the wait & see stage or tomorrow may be her big day. She could be anywhere in the world, even in the same hospital where I made the donation. I will know in about 3 weeks if the procedure went well and then I'll receive periodic updates. After a year, if all is well, she and I will have the opportunity to give consent to meet or at least to share more information about who and where we each are. Thinking good thoughts for the patient as she has a long road ahead of her.
2 comments:
Dear Erin
This blog diary bring tears to my eyes. You are giving someone the gift of hope. I have relatives that have battled AIDS and cancer - and I have seen what a glorious gift that is.
How kind and generous you are to be doing this great deed for someone. You will always be a Major Gift Donor in my book.
God Bless You!!!
Ellen
are you feeling any after-effects today? got your text, looking forward to seeing you tomorrow night.
--Leah
Post a Comment